Best Oil For Surgery Scar 
This post contains affiliate links which means we receive a small commission if you decide to make a purchase. Click here to learn more about our affiliate policy.
No matter what type of surgery you have, the end effect will always be a scar. Your after-surgery scar care is not something to ignore as unsightly scars can cause cosmetic, functional and psychological problems. In this article, we'll review and help you choose the best oil for surgery scars.
Most people don't realize the second step in the body's healing process is the rush of collagen to the site.
Actually, equally important for preventing scars, is to ensure not too much collagen is produced. Otherwise, you might end up with a raised and unsightly scar.
With this in mind, these three post-surgical scar healing oils will help keep your scar moist and hydrated and not irritate the skin.
Apart from this, all three oils have other effective ingredients to speed up the healing process to result in a scar that's barely visible.
Finally, as with any post-surgical treatment, you'll want to consult with your surgeon for medical advice before using choosing the best oil for surgical scar.
Best Oil For Surgery Scar Rating Chart
Click on images below for more details and reviews
Mederma Quick Dry Scar Oil
Wild Thera Essential Oils Surgery Scar Remover
Best Oil For Surgery Scar Reviews
Click on image above for more details
According to US News & World Report, Mederma was the #1 choice in scar treatment.
Mederma is the only oil to contain the proprietary ingredient Cepalin®
Cepalin® is a key ingredient that comes from the allium cepa onion which has properties that prove helpful to reduce inflammation and swelling to promote wound healing.
Importantly, it also is designed to reduce the overproduction of collagen/scar tissue.
Because Mederma uses sunflower and coconut oils instead of mineral oil, it absorbs quickly and completely.
Merdema is paraben-free, fragrance-free, mineral oil-free and dye-free.
In addition, among other natural ingredients, Mederma includes these healing agents in its complex formula:
- Rosehip seed oil: a natural skin brightener
- Sweet almond oil: helps nourish and moisturize the skin
- Chamomile and ginger extract: reduces redness and blotchiness
This effective scar treatment product may be exactly what you need to take care of unsightly scars after surgery.
- #1 scar treatment brand US News & World Report
- Contains the anti-inflammatory proprietary ingredient Cepalin®
- Helps to reduce over production of collagen/scar tissue
- Dye-, paraben-, mineral oil-, fragrance-free
2. Wild Thera Essential Oils Scar Reducer
Click on the image above for more details
Made from essential oils, the Wild Thera Balm is made from such goodies as vitamin E, coconut oil, shea, cocoa butter, jojoba and avocado oils.
The balm is concentrated, so a little bit goes a long way.
It really is amazing as to how effective this scar reducer can be.
Wild Thera is made from natural and organic ingredients including:
- Calendula: antiseptic properties (helps reduce excess bacteria), stimulates collagen production, skin conditioner
- Chamomile: provides antiseptic properties (help reduce excess bacteria), an anti-oxidant
- Lavender: helps cleanse your skin and supports less redness and irritation
- Shea and cocoa butters: moisturizer, reduces inflammation, fights free radicals, soothes itchy skin
- Tamanu Oil: moisture retention, anti-inflammatory
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and moisturizing
- Beeswax: high in vitamin A, protective coating, anti-inflammatory, skin lightener
...plus other collagen-friendly oils like macadamia, rosehip, lemon and orange.
Two things you'll want to consider for this effective scar reducer--it does have an orange tint to it so be aware if it comes in contact with your clothes.
Also, essential oils have a strong smell to them. Although not offensive, some may not like the odor.
In addition, there's no added water, alcohol chemical or stabilizers, petroleum byproducts, harmful preservatives, parabens, PCB, sulfates, toluene, artificial colors or fragrances.
Finally, Wild Thera Scar Reducer is made in the U.S., non-GMO and is cruelty-free.
3. Health Priority Natural Products
Click on image above for more details
Available in scented, unscented and various sizes, Health Priority Natural Products' organic vitamin E oil can help your scar heal in the best way possible--naturally.
Studies that have been done on the effectiveness of Vitamin E (otherwise known as naturally-sourced d-alpha tocopherol) have mixed results.
(In general, vitamin E is known as a free-radical reducer that may help prevent oxidative reactions that cause damage to tissue.)
In one study, the application of vitamin E, combined with vitamin C and zinc, in children with burns showed promise by reducing the time for healing and inflammation.
Alternatively, another study showed no real improvement in scar appearance when using vitamin E.
However, there are plenty of positive, anecdotal stories and reviews on how vitamin E has helped others heal and lighten all kinds of scars.
In addition to vitamin E, Healthy Priority Oil also contains organic jojoba, organic avocado, and organic rice bran oil--all of which keeps the oil from being too sticky and adds benefits to skin health.
- Jojoba and avocado oils are antioxidants that helps reduce inflammation. Also avocado is high in Omega-3s fatty acids which can help keep skin healthy.
- Rice bran oil contains a high amount of vitamin E, vitamin B and omega-9 and has been effective in evening out skin tone, reducing pigmentation and promoting hydration.
- Lavender oil helps cleanse your skin and supports less redness and irritation.
Health Priority produces its vitamin E with non-GMO ingredients and no synthetically modified oil, is cruelty-free, includes organic oils, is 100% natural and made in San Diego, CA.
They are so confident in the healing power of their oil scar-healing product, they offer a 100% money-back guarantee if you're not happy with the results, no questions asked.
- Naturally sourced and concentrated vitamin E
- Antioxidant oils that may help produce collagen and keep skin hydrated
- Made in the U.S.
- 100% money-back guarantee
Many people feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about their scars.
Whether the scar is from injury, surgery or acne, lightening and making the scar 'disappear' is what most people want.
In this review, we reviewed three collagen-friendly oils that can help lighten the appearance of your surgery scar with continuous and consistent application.
Our Editor has selected Mederma Quick Dry Scar Oil as their choice for the best oil for surgery scars.